Thursday, September 2, 2010

This week and random things

Schedule
First off, i realized there are a few things i never mentioned on here that i really should.  First there is my schedule.  Mon Wed Fri are my slow days when i try to get things done, tuesday thursday are the busy days.
Mon-Wed
tennis 7am-10am
chemistry 1:30 pm-3pm
society and culture 6pm-7:30pm
Tue-Thurs
tennis 7am-9:30am
E&M 1pm-2:30pm
Thermo 3pm-4:30pm
Salsa 5:30pm-7pm
tuesday-Bible class 7pm-9pm
thursday-Frisbee 7pm-9pm
Fri
tennis 7am-10am

You can see that Tuesday and Thursday i have only one break, between tennis and E&M, the one between thermo and salsa i eat dinner during.  Just thought this was something that belongs on my blog and i hadn't posted it yet.


Trip
A few weeks ago i went on a trip to the grutas de garcia (grutas=caves).  It was a lot of fun and we got to see a lot of neat cave formations.  I took a bunch of pictures but the lighting in the caves was really really bad so its hard to make out most of them.  Just google image search grutas de garcia and you can see all the things i saw :)

This last week
A lot has happened since my last entry.  Last sunday i went to see SALT with a friend from the US named Julian.  We also met one of his friends along the way named Melanie and she decided to come with us.  Turns out she lives about 50 ft away from me and we never knew it!  She has a tiny little one person apartment but it is pretty nice inside.   She is from Canada and has a boyfriend that lives here in Mexico, they met when the boyfriend was in Canada.  Anyway the movie was good and then in the mall there i found myself a new pair of tennis shoes which i desperately needed.  Then we went to wallmart and i got notebooks, cereal, tennis grips, a pineapple, and shirts.  I needed more shirts because with tennis i didn't have enough clothes to make it through a week without laundry.  Fortunately i found a rack of simple thin (thin=cool,temperature) shirts for about $2 each so i bought 4.  This morning i just realized that even though the hangers they came off of all say large two of them are actually mediums and don't fit that well.  When i got back i cut up my pineapple and this week i have been snacking on it.  My host mom told me that there are also really little pineapples you can buy that taste a lot sweeter.  I saw them at wallmart but didn't buy any so next time i am going to. 

Monday was a pretty regular day except i had my first test in chemistry.  I felt like it went pretty well which was nice because i hadn't studied for it all that much.  Other than that i just went to class and did homework.  Tuesday morning i didn't hear my alarm go off so i missed tennis practice.  I really need to buy a new one because the one i have is really quiet and with all the fans going it is easy to sleep through.  A few weeks ago i met an Australian missionary at my church.  He is here with his family running a bible education program four youth and ministry leaders.  He told me that he was going to start a class on Marc and asked me if i would be interested.  We talked for a while and he is a really nice guy so i told him i would take the class.  It meets tuesday evenings from 7-9.  In the past i played frisbee on tuesday and thursday evenings so now i'm only getting half the frisbee but i think its worth it.  Tuesday was the first day that i had the class and i liked it.  It is taught in spanish, and often he struggles with words and especially pronunciation but everyone helps him out and all the other students are really nice.  Sometimes i help translate questions for him and afterwords i gave him a few tips on pronunciation (he always emphasized the first parts of words ending with cion, he would say ádoracion instead of adoracion).  I think im going to continue going to the class.  The whole thing costs around $30 (materials ect.) and it is for basically the whole semester.

Wed was an eventful day.  I had to skip tennis practice to go turn in all my visa paperwork and that process took the whole morning.  Then when i got back from the visa office i realized i had lost my wallet!  I remembered having it at the office but right after i got out of the taxi it wasn't there.  I went right away and canceled my debit card and the international office here called people at the visa office and asked them to be looking for it.  Then i went to chemistry where i got my test back and i got a 72%.  It was a lot worse than i thought i did (but still passing).  It turns out what happened was there was one set of questions that all build on one another.  I got the first part wrong and then although i applied all the concepts correctly, each question after that was wrong.  That represented almost all of the points i lost.  There was one quesiton i didn't know the answer to, and another one i couldn't remember how to say the name for a geometric shape in spanish.  I drew it and worked out all its angles and everything but apparently they wanted the name.  The shape is if you take two elongated triangular pyramids and then stick them base to base, its kind of diamond shaped.  I'm not even sure how to say it in english really.  All in all i'm ok with how it turned out, i just have to pay really really close attention to problems that build on one another in the future because there does not appear to be partial credit.  After chemistry when i was at home eating lunch the international office called and said that the taxi driver had found my wallet in his car and was going to return it.  I think that when i pulled coins out to pay the taxi my wallet must have fallen out.  Anyway that was a huge relief.  I kind of wish now that i hadn't canceled my debit card because now until i can get a new one getting money is going to be a pain.  Right after i finish writing this i am going to pick up my wallet :)  Also the physics homework due today was mercifully short, which was really nice and gave me some time to relax.

This morning i woke up to go to tennis and discovered that i am sick.  I have a sore throat and a bit of a headache.  I don't think its serious i'm just going to skip Frisbee tonight and try to go to bed really early.  I sent the coach an email and explained why i have missed three days this week (slept through alarm, visa, sick).  The team is pretty loose with commitment though, people have their own schedules and the coach knows they just come when they can.  I still have not been told officially that i can practice with them but for now i am assuming i can because it has been a few weeks. 

Now i'm off to get my wallet and go to class.  Thanks for reading everyone :)

Also, i have been here one month today! I arrived on Aug. 2.  I can't believe a month is gone already, it really seems like time is speeding up. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is eventful! I'm so glad you found your wallet, that would be a seriously awful thing to have to deal with. And that tuesday night class sounds awesome! Sorry about your test. :( At least you passed! Yay for mexican pineapple and new shoes!

    I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear about SALSA! Why haven't you told us how that's going? Also I want to hear about frisbee, because I don't think I have. Are they really good? Do they have any craxy rules we don't follow or anything like that?

    It seems weird that the tennis team is loose with commitment, that isn't really how sports teams work here in America... I sort of like that, the coach realizing that everyone has their own schedules. It seems like here you have to completely devote your life to your sports team and work everything else around it.

    Anyway, good to hear what's going on, and I'm finally caught up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're lucky the cab driver returned your wallet! And it sucks that you're sick. Get well soon.

    Also: I think your old roommate would get a kick out of the part about the missionary and what they're studying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right hanna i should have posted something about salsa. Up until last week the class was pretty boring, we were just learning the basics and we didn't know enough to really be able to have fun doing it. Last tuesday though it started really being fun. Now we have learned all the basic turns so we can be a little creative in how we put them together. I really wanted to go thursday but i was sick and just didn't have the energy.

    Frisbee had a rough start, there were three days that i thought i had found the practice and there was not one. Turns out the frisbee group has had various means of communication in the past, websites, facebook groups ect. I had been looking at all the old ones which had practice times that were out of date. I finally found the group though but the first day i went there were only 8 people and they were all pretty bad. We had a lot of fun but the prognosis was not looking that great. The next time i went though a bunch more people came and a lot of them are really good, there are 4 or 5 of them that are better than me. There is one guy from the US working there in the peace corps who played all through college. We always guard each other because nobody else is as tall as us (he is 1-2 inches shorter than me). I have a bit of an edge in air battles but he is easily the better Frisbee player. I haven't gone in two weeks now though, last thursday i was sick, and the thursday before i had only gotten 3 hours of sleep. Apparently the group has tournaments that they play in and i'm hoping i can participate with them. They are the only frisbee team in the whole city (or so they say) so they have to travel a little ways to get to the tournaments but apparently they are a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete